Friday, December 16, 2016

First meditation on Gratitude

This year, I've been working diligently to cultivate the habit of meditation.  I've meditated in silence, alone, in front of a sea of students and colleagues, at the beach and in the mountains, in the dark with Abbey where I had a vision and we shared a seminal moment.
The monks at Shasta Abbey taught me to sit, taught me to hold my hands (dominant concealed by submissive), taught me to close my eyes and open my mind.  Courses in Mindfulness helped to keep me on the path.  
Eating well (thank you, Michael Pollen) and tending to my body better than ever in my life were meditations unto themselves.  Lisa and I shared an awakening in August as the sugar purged from our bodies.  Her mother and I watched as Sadie set the example of a lover of life.  
We’ve hiked on a trail of ice with the Columbia to our backs and adventure ahead.  And as we watched rivulets of water distill between mountain and shimmering ice, trees shook off their powdery burden, lovers kissed and a vow to return for good was made.  Poison Oak inches from genitals served as a badge of honor given after two days and 25 miles on The Lost Coast Trail.  The numbing waters of the Yuba River engulfed us as we dove through tunnels beneath boulders as large as a Volkswagen.  Rocks gamboled over water as the girls learned to skip at Lake Tahoe.
Sam Harris spoke of Islam and Christ and so solidified thoughts of Atheism.  
Floss, push ups, crunches, lists, priorities, ceaseless mind shifts and setbacks.  Beginning again with renewed vigor.  Intention.  Above all else, books and conversation.  The end of negative self-talk as memories flood back; first gentle whispers then a church choir.  
All of it a meditation.

1 comment: