Tuesday, January 23, 2018

On Bearing Down

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

7:54 p.m.

Now we all play
We’re the moth to the flame
We were aware of the danger
But we could not look away
My eyes are open

--Typhoon

Mental exhaustion can bring the body to a grinding halt; as I sat at the table and watched my hands slowly cradle my head, fingers caressing temples, I knew this to be true. I rose at 5:15 and the time clock whirred its digital clunk at 5:52. Fifteen minutes in silent meditation was all the morning would allow; students arrive at 9:30.


When working with people who experience life vastly different from you, one has two choices: give yourself over completely to their needs, or fail.  Some days, however, a teacher can let go of ego to the fullest extent of their ability and still not get deep enough inside the mind of a student. The pain of those days is akin to childbirth in that, those who experience the suffering quickly forget so they will continue the work which it wrought.   

No comments:

Post a Comment